Cliff Threadgold Photography


Pamuayan Waterfall

posted on 2013-08-13 20:28:03 in Philippines

The day dawned with a clear sky again, a far cry to yesterday. At least I can make the most of the penultimate day in Port Barton. Today a day of walking to explore the last couple of places I heard about. The first to visit a local waterfall called Pamuayan Waterfall to the north of the town. I was given some basic directions of I could hire a guide at 500peso. I thought the opportunity to be explorer was much better than paying for a guide who probably wouldn’t have the patience required to put up with me taking photos.

As I was leaving the house I noticed rice laid out drying. While this is quite common to see especially on the roads, this was the first time I had seen it on the beach. Then I spotted a man fixing his rice rake. On my return the rice was being gathered to store ready for another drying day.

Rice drying 1

Turn right after the bridge, keep going and pass the cemetery on the left, fork right and follow the track, which does have some signposts. How hard could it be? Over the bridge no problem, except beware of falling coconuts! A man up a palm tree was hacking off branches and throwing down coconuts to the woman below. A 100m up the track I got to a fork in the path, this wasn’t mentioned at least not to my memory. With a very large Carabou and calf blocking the right fork I decided left was a good option. So it proved, another 100m or so the cemetery was on the left. At the next fork I managed to see a sign veered right and then it was pretty easy to follow the path. Due to the heavy rain recently the path was very muddy in places and extremely slippery. Like all bad boy scouts I chose to wear my sandals rather than walking shoes and when I came across a large lizard basking in the sun on the path I wondered if I was wise. What if I came across a snake? I didn’t see a snake but did see ants building hills in the path. Lots of butterflies and millions of dragonflies.

The official track soon started with an information board and a sign for donations, at least I think that must be the case in the high season, I couldn’t see any box. I had a few streams to cross by using small bridges of tree trunk spanning the water. Just before the 3rd bridge I lost sight of the track for a moment due to the grass being water flattened by high river levels. Then at the 4th bridge I stopped for a while to look at the stagnant water. While on the bridge I felt an insect bite me just below the knee, I don’t know what it was but it was quite large and it did draw blood.

The next river crossing had rocks positioned to walk over, now I was glad I wore sandals, the river level was high and over the stones. Wading through the water was very refreshing. The next crossing was the same and worse, as the path along the riverbank was flooded. I decided to walk down the river to a suitable place to cross. My feet felt great in the cool water and to watch the little frogs and tadpoles dart away from me was fun. The 3rd river crossing was a little more hazardous because the river was very fast flowing and the rocks very slippery but negotiated safely.


By the time I reached the waterfall I had actually tramped nearly 4km, a lot further than I expected and I didn’t pass anybody along the entire way. I was definitely alone in the bush or is it jungle here?

I got back just in time, within 30mins of returning the clouds had rolled in and the first few spits of rain had started. Then the first clap of thunder, the rain got heavier and then the heavens opened. It was a deluge, luck was certainly on my side today.